Tuesday, August 3, 2010

John The Baptist...


As I sit here this morning and have my personal devotion I am reading Matthew chapter 3 and I am looking at the passion of John the Baptist. John the Baptist is preaching in the wilderness “repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand”. His circumstances are not restricting him from preaching the message of heavens hope: Jesus Christ; just because he is in the wilderness does not mean that he is going to stop doing what he has been called to do. The same should apply to us as Christians if we sit around and wait for the “perfect” circumstances in order to preach the gospel we will never do it. Its about Johns passion not his circumstances.
This chapter also tells us that john wore a garment of camel’s hair and a leather belt around his waist and his food was locusts and wild honey. Not the most rewarding of all jobs but john didn’t look at what he ate or had to wear he looked at the mission and his real undeniable belief in what he was preaching about. I have a friend and his father has millions and yet my friend refuses to take any money from his dad. Him and his father have a great relationship but his father is not a Christian so my friend says to me that maybe my message will be more powerful to my dad because I am struggling and yet I am not asking for anything or taking anything when he offers it. Its not about the stuff he tells me, its only about our relationship. I want my dad to know that I love him not for what he can do for me but simply because of whom he is. I wonder if that is how it is for most Christians. Do we serve God out of obligation or out of love. If God didn’t do another thing for us would we still be willing to be preach his message.
The life that John the Baptist lived was extremely humble but what he got from Jesus was the honor of baptizing the messiah. He walked with Jesus and he talked with Jesus and he reigns with Jesus in heaven. John was not seeking the earthly fulfillment's of this world but rather he was seeking a relationship with Jesus Christ. As you live your life here on earth what are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment