Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jesus The Light Of The World


Colossians 1:24- 28

Paul's Labor for the Church
24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

28We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

We have been called into the ministry to help those who cant help themselves. To bear with those who cant carry their own load. We have been called to edify the church, to bring the lost to the gosepel of Jesus Christ, to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, weep with those who weep. We have been called to lead, direct, and manage. Not to let people stay comfortable, but rather to work with them as they find out all that God has for them in Jesus Christ.

This can become frustrating and make us angry when we find great seeds that only need to be pushed into the right direction and they would rather stay in their comfort zone. They would rather be around people who bring them down, rather than lifting them up. When we find people like this who want to fight us on every suggestion and every move we must remember that we too where once like this. It has taken my pastor years to get me to the point where I will grow, where I will listen to him and where I will be obedient to his discipline and correction. I always wondered why he was so “mean” but it was not that he was being mean to me; it was that he wanted to help me avoid the mistakes and scars that he knew that I would face. He didn’t want me to hurt and to live with the guilt, disgust and shame that I now live with. My pastor loved me enough to talk harsh to me because he knew that in my weak and immature mind I didn’t have the knowledge and foresight to see the enemy coming and his attacks.

For us who have been on the battle field a long time we must remember to be patient with the new soldiers. To remember that they want to follow God, love people and have a heart for leadership and the church like we do; but we also must remember that they can’t see the enemy around the corner. So when they walk into the fire, we must remember to be here for them and it’s not about saying I told you so- it’s simply about accepting them where they are on their journey.

In time God will do the same for them as he has done for us; but in the meantime we must not get mad at their anger and resistance- rather we must remember that we are not fighting against flesh and blood, and continue to pray for them and when they come to the right side of the tracks to be here for them. We work, we toil, and we put up with all the junk not because we have to but because God has called us to love people even when their unlovable.

No comments:

Post a Comment